Some Mac Cleaning Software Infects Your Machine: Be Sure You Only Use the Real Deal
We love solid Mac cleaning software (like CleanMyMac 3) because it makes your digital life easier. Which is the whole point of a digital life. However, some programs masquerading as cleaning software are actually malware. Here's what to do if you think you have malware on your Mac.
Problems with MacKeeper
One Mac program causing a lot of problems is MacKeeper. Mac experts report a myriad of problems with MacKeeper including,
- Pop under ads (which are advertisements that appear underneath your current browser and you will see the ad once you close your browser)
- Repeated reminders to clean your computer when you don’t need to do so
- Fake/purchased reviews in tech websites
- Hiring overzealous and questionable affiliate marketers
- Scattering MacKeeper files throughout your computer, making it very difficult to uninstall
- Destabilizing your Mac by not “playing nice” with other applications and programs.
Another program causing similar issues is Mac Adware Cleaner.
Uninstall MacKeeper or Mac Adware Cleaner
Given the variety of issues with MacKeeper we recommend uninstalling the program. However, MacKeeper makes itself very difficult to remove. You cannot just grab the application and drag it to the Trash as you can with many other programs.
To manually uninstall MacKeeper do the following:
- Open MacKeeper > MacKeeper menu > Preferences > General > turn off Show MacKeeper icon in menu bar. Close MacKeeper.
- Drag MacKeeper to the Trash. Follow the prompts for uninstalling MacKeeper.
- Open Spotlight and search for “MacKeeper.” You can also manually look in Library > Application Support or Library > Caches for MacKeeper Help folders. Drag any and all related folders and files to the Trash.
- Empty your Trash.
Despite the best thorough manual searches, MacKeeper still eludes some users. If you’re interested in a real Mac cleaning software that doesn’t annihilate your computer, we recommend (and have for some time) MacPaw’s Clean My Mac 3. Located within Clean My Mac 3 is a guided uninstaller.
The Clean My Mac 3 guided uninstaller can identify all of the MacKeeper files on your computer and help you remove them safely and quickly. Hint hint: Clean My Mac 3 has a free trial so give it a whirl and see how it does before you buy it!