When You Have a Black Screen and Your Mac Won't Turn On: Step Through These Tips
Check your charger’s cable
Examine the cable to see if there are any nicks or major cracks. It's possible your charger is the problem. Also, check the wall outlet. Maybe you need to flip the switch or the power board.
Perform the special power cycle
Reboot in a special power cycle mode by doing the following:
- Unplug the power cable
- Hold down the Power button (10 seconds)
- While holding Power button, connect the power cable
- Wait 10 more seconds
- Stop holding the Power button and attempt to restart your Mac
Check your startup drive
Make your Mac feel fresh again and give your macOS a boost so that it runs faster by intentionally managing your startup items. To see what’s running in the background from the moment you turn your computer on, take the following steps:
- Go to your System Preferences > Users & Groups
- Click on your username
- Click on Login Items
- Click on the name of any apps you don’t need to launch during startup and then click the “-” symbol l
The fewer applications you run automatically the faster your Mac will perform throughout its lifetime.
Reset System Management Controller (SMC)
- Turn off your MacBook
- Plug in your MacBook power cord into the wall socket
- Now, hold down the Left Shift + Option + Control + Power Button, simultaneously, for 10 seconds
- When you do the above, your Mac won’t power on but will register on reset
- Release all keys after 10 seconds and turn on and run your MacBook like you normally do
Please note that when doing this, your MacBook should not turn on. If it turns on, you probably didn’t press one of the keys properly. Do it again until you are able to press down all mentioned keys for 10 seconds without powering up your MacBook.
Start it in a Safe mode
Safe mode limits the macOS to its most basic functions. To try this,
- Press the Power button while holding down Shift
- Release the Shift key after login dialogue shows up
Try Recovery mode when the Mac won't load
- Go to Apple menu > Restart
- Wait for Mac’s startup sound
- Immediately press and hold Command + R
- Don’t release the keys until you see Apple logo
Give your Mac a bit of time to load and you’ll be taken to Utilities. From there on, you’ll see several to recover your Mac.
Prevent future issues with a Mac cleaning program
We use Clean My Mac 3 to do a high level cleanup of our machines.
I installed the free trial version and ran that within minutes of download. A basic Clean My Mac 3 scan runs through the following items: system junk, photo junk, mail attachments, iTunes junk, and trash bins. It cleans up each of these areas creating more space on your hard drive and speeding up your Mac. It also identifies files on your hard drive that are particularly large and/or old, allowing you to make cleaning decisions on these individual items.
My first scan with Clean My Mac 3 cleared up over 10 GB of space. It also identified nearly 12 GB of large and old files for me to review. And at its conclusion, it succinctly reported its actions, without asking me to investigate complex technical issues like my PC software had done back in the day.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.